Saturday, May 25, 2013

My Current Read- A Thomas Jefferson Education

My Aunt Angie shared this awesome book with me this week. I have been loving it! It has also added significantly to my to-read list with its two lists of classics- one for adults and one for children and youth.

The main premise here is that we teach our children best (whether we homeschool or send them to public or private school) when we take a major roll in their teaching so that they can gain a useful education. When good teachers teach, children educate themselves. The way we do this is by learning with them, encouraging them to study classic works of literature (both fiction and non-fiction), and helping them apply what they learn to real life. Education isn't just about skill- or job-training, it is about using your mind, thinking critically, and developing an arsenal of tools for creative leadership.

The truth of this premise has really resonated with me, bringing to mind a few things:

First, the impact that true teachers have had on my education. For example, Mrs. Horsley, my 12 grade AP English teacher, taught the way the book outlines exactly. No other teacher has had such an influence on me. Her passion and the way she engages a class and helps us learn to use our own minds is powerful and sadly, unusual in our education system today.

Second, this scripture has repeated itself over and over in my mind: "And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning even by study and also by faith." Doctrine and Covenants 109:7.  Mr. Van DeMille's methods and purposes follow this scripture precisely. I wasn't expecting to feel religiously/spiritually inspired by reading a book on education. 

As Angie said to me, "If anyone is planning on having any involvement in their children's education, I recommend this book to them." I second the motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment